The Times of India (also known by its abbreviation TOI) is an Indian English-language daily newspaper and digital news media owned and managed by The Times Group. It is the third-largest newspaper in India by circulation and largest selling English-language daily in the world. It is the oldest English-language newspaper in India, and the second-oldest Indian newspaper still in circulation, with its first edition published in 1838. It is nicknamed as "The Old Lady of Bori Bunder", and is an Indian "newspaper of record".
Near the beginning of the 20th century, Lord Curzon, the Viceroy of India, called TOI "the leading paper in Asia". In 1991, the BBC ranked TOI among the world's six best newspapers.
It is owned and published by Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. (B.C.C.L.), which is owned by the Sahu Jain family. In the Brand Trust Report India study 2019, TOI was rated as the most trusted English newspaper in India. Reuters rated TOI as India's most trusted media news brand in a survey. In recent decades, the newspaper has been criticised for establishing in the Indian news industry the practice of accepting payments from persons and entities in exchange for positive coverage.
- ^ a b "Highest Circulated Daily Newspapers (language wise)" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC). Retrieved 5 January 2020.
- ^ Natarajan, C. S. (2018). National Words: A Solution to the National Language Problem of India. Notion Press. p. 189. ISBN 978-1-948147-14-9.
- ^ Kaminsky, Arnold P.; Long, Ph.D., Roger D. (2011). India Today: An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic [2 volumes]. ABC-CLIO. p. 706. ISBN 978-0-313-37463-0.
- ^ Westhead, Rick (5 February 2010). "It's the best of Times". Toronto Star. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- ^ "National Newspapers Total Circulation". International Federation of Audit Bureaux of Circulations (IFABC). 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- ^ Bhattacherje, S. B. (2009). Encyclopaedia of Indian Events & Dates. Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd. p. A126. ISBN 978-81-207-4074-7.
- ^ Joseph, Ammu (2005). Making News: Women in Journalism. Penguin Books India. p. 227. ISBN 978-0-14-400057-9.
- ^ "The old lady of Bori Bunder celebrates 175 yrs with panache". Exchange4Media. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- ^ Frost, Corey; Weingarten, Karen; Babington, Doug; LePan, Don; Okun, Maureen (2017). The Broadview Guide to Writing: A Handbook for Students (6th ed.). Broadview Press. p. 27. ISBN 978-1-55481-313-1.
- ^ Barton, Greg; Weller, Paul; Yilmaz, Ihsan (2014). The Muslim World and Politics in Transition: Creative Contributions of the Gülen Movement. A & C Black. p. 28. ISBN 978-1-4411-5873-4.
- ^ Bose, Jaideep (23 April 2013). "A daily in the life of India". TOI. Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- ^ Baxi, C. V.; Prasad, Ajit (2005). Corporate Social Responsibility: Concepts and Cases : the Indian Experience. Excel Books India. p. 167. ISBN 978-81-7446-449-1.
- ^ Aggarwal, Vir Bala; Gupta, V. S. (2001). Handbook of Journalism and Mass Communication. Concept Publishing Company. p. 128. ISBN 978-81-7022-880-6.
- ^ "TRA's Brand Trust Report India Study 2019" (PDF). TRA Research Pvt. Ltd. p. 48. Retrieved 29 July 2021.
- ^ BS Web Team (23 June 2021). "Business Standard among top 10 trusted media brands in India: Reuters Institute Survey". Business Standard India. Business Standard Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 29 July 2021.
- ^ "TOI is India's most trusted news brand: Reuters survey". TOI. 25 June 2021. Retrieved 29 July 2021.